- KVYSO membership is open to all players in grades 7 through
- Students must make an appointment for a KVYSO audition by filling
out the application form.
- Auditions take place twice per season in the Summer and in January.
- The KVYSO audition usually lasts approximately ten minutes. It
is designed only as a tool for assessing each student’s ability.
It is not intended to be difficult nor intimidating for the player.
- KVYSO requests that auditioning students have at least one year of
playing experience in their school music program before auditioning
- Each applicant will play in front of a panel of up to three judges.
Generally, these judges are the KVYSO Conductor and/or members of
the KVYSO Coaching Staff. [Occasionally an outside individual may
be on the panel.]
- Following this audition, this panel will discuss the individual’s
ability level, and place that student in the appropriate group.
- Generally, the audition panel will stop the applicant after three or four minutes.
Pieces shorter than three minutes are acceptable.
- Students are asked to play all or part of a prepared solo piece.
Accompanists are not required.
- Each applicant will be asked to play all or part of a set of sight-reading
materials. The student may take a brief period to look at the materials,
then begin playing.
Specific Audition Requirements:
- Wind & Brass
- 3 major scales, 2 octaves. Student picks one, audition judge picks 2 from all major scales plus chromatic, OR IMEA SCALE SHEET, whichever the student prefers.
- Prepared piece of your own choosing. No accompanist necessary.
- Sight reading.
- PERCUSSIONS REQUIREMENTS (Take  or , then  & 
- Rudiments including flam rudiments, paradiddles, drags and ruffs, rudimental roll -- all slow to fast to slow (open to closed to open)-- plus buzz roll (soft to loud to soft)
- Timpani tuning: perfect fourth, minor third, major second
- Prepared piece of your own choosing.
- Sight reading
- STRING REQUIREMENTS
- 3 major scales, 3 octaves (if possible) except 2nd Violin and Double Basses, who may play 2 octaves. Student picks one, audition judge picks 2 from these: C,D,E, F,G, A and B-flat major.
- Prepared-piece of your own choosing. No accompanist necessary.
- Sight reading.
- Placement is dependent on the number of positions available within each section. Orchestra wind and brass positions are offered to the best applicants in each section.
- Tuition for each student is $220.00 per season, payable in accord with current season payment policy.
- Financial aid is available for payment of tuition by contacting the KVYSO Board President immediately after the audition by e-mail, phone, or mail as shown below.
- Regular performances are scheduled in the Larsen Fine Arts Center, on the campus of Olivet Nazarene University in Bourbonnais, Illinois.
For more information, you may e-mail email@example.com or
815-334-7773, leaving a voicemail message or
KVYSO, P.O. Box 572, Kankakee, IL 60901.